I'm highly considering joining the Peace Corp or something like it after graduation.
I feel like God is calling me to do something radical. To join the history of believers who have left everything to follow Him and to serve the poor and the oppressed.
I can no longer sit here in this country and just take it all in. I can no longer watch my country kill and torture people and not make a fuss. I can no longer let my mind and heart be tainted by this mixture of culture/God or politics/religion or love/hate.
I have to do something. Sitting here is not an option. Shopping at Wal-Mart and driving an SUV is not an option. SO much of what I do adds to the injustice of people everywhere. I have to purge those things from my life.
Did you know that 785 million adults world wide cannot read or write? Of those, 2/3 are women.
Did you know that women earn 10% of the world's income, yet work 2 out of 3 of all labor hours world wide?
Did you know that an estimated 2 million children are sex slaves and most are girls?
Did you know that by buying products made in China we cause children's hands to be callused and bloody?
Did you know that 1/3 of the US budget is spent on the military? We have the most nuclear weapons and the "best" army (meaning we could wipe the most people out). Cool.
I have to do something.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Apparently no one feels the desire to comment...but maybe this will inspire you
Posted by Jennifer at 8:27 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I give you my usual advice: Do it. Get out.
Just please don't forget the good in the world (or in our own country) in your fight to eliminate the evil.
There are two ways to make a difference -
from the inside/out (from within the system)
or
from the outside/in (cleaning up the system's mess)
and sometimes...
both.
Ah yes...if only I had some inkling as to what my role is...
Post a Comment