Saturday, October 17, 2009

The other day I was on facebook and I saw these two quotes that really resonated with me and my current faith/lack of faith situation.

The first: "Once you've got it all figured out, but don't have LOVE, what was it worth; what was the point?"

and also..."An atheist said that if people really did believe in God, there would be some type of proof in their behavior; "They'd be doing all sorts of crazy things, giving up their lives, but they don't do that do they?"

Amen. Let me say it again. Amen.

As a former highly involved member of the church, I have seen it all. I have seen the well-intentioned but off the mark Christians, the on-fire Christians, the dead-beat Christians.

I have been encouraged by leaders, peers, and sermons. I have been extremely hurt by leaders, peers, and sermons, and not just in the conviction sense.

I know that the negatives shouldn't necessarily taint my view of Christianity as a whole, seeing as how "we all fall short of the glory of God" but it's hard not to let it.

Let's face it, there is no huge distinction anymore in the way that Christians live their lives. Ask many "crazy, secular, liberals" what their view of Christians is and they will have nothing good to say. The divorce rate among Christians is the same as non. Christians in my experience are more apt to vote FOR war than against. Gay humans feel inhuman around them.

and what for? In the name of Christ? Didn't Jesus preach love?

It's hard for me to come crawling back to the church when the church is harmful. Both the Church and the church are hurtful. Many people that I love dearly have been so burned. So hurt. I can't reconcile that in my mind.

One thing that has been hard for me during this time of seeking has been the conversations that I have had with people who had it all "figured out". Do we EVER really have it figured out? I would say no. There was an air of "Someday you'll see it like me" when we talked and that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

I don't know what the future looks like for me. I want SO BADLY to believe that there is peace, hope, and love that is attainable. The idea of Jesus hits places in my heart. But humans have yet to figure out how to carry out the ways of the Bible well.

Is it because we're human? Is that it? Are we never able to attain the things that Jesus promised? Is it that our systems are completely dysfunctional?

I don't have the answer anymore. What is your answer?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So be one of those Christians who votes against war. for gay marriage. who preaches and lives out love.

You can't give up on the church. You have seen the awful things it has done, but you can still see the good its doing... on both a macro and micro scale. Look for the love, hope and justice it has established and worked for in people's lives, in the day to day.

Sometimes we get so distracted by all the shitty stuff going on, but that was the point of Jesus' ministry, to reveal the hope that exists when we believe.

"They'd be doing all sorts of crazy things, giving up their lives, but they don't do that do they?"

So be that Christian. Prove them wrong. Change your lifestyle. Give something up. Lead by example.

Whatever you do, don't give up. That's the last thing we should be doing.