Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Day 1

Today was the first day of Urban Ministries and I'm very excited for what I'm going to learn. I know little about the city other than my shopping trips downtown Chicago, going to work with my dad, and hearing about all of the "bad" things. I'm not scared of the city, although the "scary" people there do frighten me a tad. I want to live there someday...and help the people who live there too.

It seems like it's going to be a very down-to-earth class. No gimics, no facades. Just facts, trends, and God in the city. The God in the city must be the compassionate God. The God who cries when little kids are shot because their big brothers are in gangs. The God who wants so desperately to see his people fed.

We are also going to be talking worldwide in the class. Finally, a view beyond our American culture. There is so much out there that we do not have a clue about.

0 comments: