Tonight we went to Joel (our professor)'s house for dinner and to see where he lived. He lives downtown GR where he serves. Many people would not consider his neighborhood safe enough to raise children in. There was a rape in the park kiddie corner from his house, drug deals in the same park, and shootings nearby as well. It was cool to see the place where he does his urban ministry and gave me a bit of a taste of what kinds of things I might be working with someday.
I couldn't help feeling really uncomfortable in the neighborhood though. Here I am a white girl from the subarbs scoping out the inner city. It got me thinking about my possible sphere of influence someday when I get a job. I'm not sure I am cut out for, or have the desire to work with students in the inner city. Now granted, it is not what I feel my calling is, but I do have to face the fact that there is a chance that I would be working with them in some format. Oh to know what God has in store...
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Touring the streets
Posted by Jennifer at 8:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment