Monday, April 21, 2008

What can we do?

Last week I watched a documentary by Invisible Children. Invisible Children is a non-profit who uses the media, mostly movies, to bring about awareness of the children in Northern Uganda who are plagued by the war in Sudan.

Please go to www.youtube.com and search "Invisible Children". There are a lot of videos that you can watch.

Anyway, in the video that I watched, the kids were asking Americans to help. And it got me thinking.

I am not the biggest fan of a lot that America is known for, but I do recognize the power that the American government and military has in the world. I also recognize that America is one of the wealthiest nations in the world, among governments and individuals. If the government is aware of injustice happening in the world, which it is, shouldn't they be doing something if they can?

One might argue that we can't solve all of the problems in the world. No, we can't. But we can solve problems rather than cause them (cough cough ::war:: cough cough). The problems in Uganda are caused by rebels and war. Perhaps we are causing similar problems in Iraq?

Meanwhile we have spent roughly $400 billion on the Iraq war. (Can someone please tell me what we're still doing there?) Couldn't some of that money be used for other things?

If we as the people of America step up for what is right and step up for the rights of other people who can't fight for themselves, then something can be done. The government listens to the pressure of its people, and other countries listen to the pressure of the American government.

What are you fighting for?

1 comments:

Ellie said...

good thoughts...

ah the tension of trying to make those a lifestyle...