It's true. We dont' know hip-hop. By we I mean those of us not imersed in the culture. If you couldn't guess, we talked about the hip-hop culture today in class. It isn't just the rap music, a "black thing", or 1-D. Rather it is its own culture.
Language: Rap
Music: DJing
Art: Graffiti
Dance/expression: Break dancing
Philosophy/Religion: Street knowledge
Entrepreneurship: Capitalism
I have such a deep appreciation for many of the artistic elements of the culture because they are things that I am incapable of doing. I cannot rap...I cannot break dance...nor can I create good graffiti.
We talked about ministering to the hip-hop culture. I really appreciated what was said about needing to pursue a holistic ministry. Not only do we need to share God's message of spiritual hope, we need to offer them social justice by helping them with housing issues, food issues, etc.

0 comments:
Post a Comment