Today we went to Urban Family Ministries downtown. It was cool to hear what they do as an organization, when all that I ever see of them is when they bring the inner city kids on campus. One of the things that Urban Family really focuses on is mentoring. I've seen commercials by the Boys and Girls Club recently advocating mentoring as well. I agree that mentoring can really change the lives of people.
My only annoyance is this: Why is there a lack of mentors in the church? Why has our focus turned away from the church and instead on kids who don't know God? Now don't get me wrong, I think it is very important for disadvantaged children to have the opportunity to be mentored and taught all sorts of things, I just wonder if perhaps we need to balance out the help.
I appreciated it today when a student in our group asked the director of UFM what the fruit of the organization was. Do the kids grow to know the Lord? Do things change? Fortunately she said yes, but how many times is there a lack of accountability among the non-profits? That is one thing that I will definitely need to remember as I venture out into the world of business in a few years.
Wednesday, March 28, 2007
Posted by Jennifer at 8:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment