I've begun reading a book by Shane Claiborne and Chris Haw called "Jesus for President". It has pictures! And quotes in picture form! (it's a wonderful book so far, I recommend it.)
Anyway, the beginning starts like this:
"You grew up in a good family; hardworking dad and a mom who was there when you needed her. They taught you and your little brother to share and showed you how to pray every night before bed. In Sunday school, you learned about Jesus and sang all the songs with the rest of the kids. There was Noah and his ark, Moses and the Ten Commandments, and little baby Jesus asleep on the hay. You learned about the blessing that was America and were grateful to live in a country led by good Christian leaders. With a hand over your heart or above your brow, you pledged allegiance to God and country, for the Lord was at work in this holy nation.
But lately you are beginning to wonder if this is really how God intended things to be. And you question if God is really working through places of power. Maybe, you wonder, God had a totally different idea in mind..."
Hmmm...that is me. Since our president just recently vetoed an anti-torture law, I've been wondering how our country could possibly have EVER been considered a "Christian" nation, how people can actually AGREE with the idea that torturing another human being is a GOOD way to do business!! (oh how I could go on and on about how Jesus wouldn't approve of torture...but that would just be anger and I don't want to ruin the rest of my day...)
My heart is broken the more I realize how the world works, and listen to people talk about how Obama is Osama because his father was Muslim, and hear stories of people being detained in our prisons without any rights, and see pictures of children who are dying from a lack of food and...
And then I can't help but wonder what my role in this story is. I'm a 21 year old female whose heart hurts because people are being treated unfairly. What can I possibly do? Where are the people in the world who will join with me? My life, my major, my internship are all dedicated to helping people and I feel so alone...
The world is so filled with destruction and with war and with brokenness. I long to see Jesus' people rising up to the challenge. Where are the Christians? Why are we voting FOR war and not AGAINST it? Why are we letting torture happen and not stopping it? Why are we letting millions die and millions more be orphaned from AIDS rather than doing all that we can to help them?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
My passions are leaking out...
Posted by Jennifer at 3:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
more good thoughts...
i'm excited to see what the rest of the book says.
Post a Comment