Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Books

I love books. When I was younger, I read all the time. I was the kid in class who read the most books for the reading program and who had the highest reading level. Even in high school during the summers, I would read a lot. Slowly the books became more informative and less fanciful, more convicting than inviting.

I started to read yet another Christian /Religion/Spirituality book this summer and could only read one chapter at a time because it took so much energy and pondering. This was a good indication that I am wiped out. I've hit emotional overload.

So I picked up some fiction. :) It is not quality fiction, but rather cheesy Christian fiction which doesn't require much thinking. (Please give me some titles of good non-Christian fiction...please) It's good none the less.

The thing which prompted this little post was my trip to the local public library today. I realized that I totally lose track of time when I'm there. I'm lost in the world of books and imaginary lives. I can rent DVDs and travel the world for free. I wish there were more hours in the day sometimes so that I could continue in my story.

So, what books would you recommend?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hm that is funny because I despise fiction. I don't read books unless I am getting something (aka knowledge) out of it. I was just having this discussion with a couple people hte other day.

Some people love getting caught up in this fantasy world that is fiction and the imagination that comes with it. Well, I don't. I dob't like the idea of being somewhere I am not. I don't like the idea of reading something just to read something.

Most of hte time I read memoirs of theologically in tune people or books that contemplate theological issues.

I just read Eat, Pray Love (which you should REALLY read)and now I'm working on THree Cups of Tea. However, as the former was a memoir with insight, the latter is a memoir but I'm in the fourth chapter and haven't crossed much insight yet. THat's hard for me. It feels too unreal for me. EVEN though it is a true story, it's a story. Eat Pray Love was kinda like that, but more theological because it was her search for spirituality.

I just don't like fiction.

In that case, I don't have any book reccomendations for you. HOWEVER, you have to read Eat Pray Love. I got through it in 6 days and thats a REALLY short time for me. So, there you go.

Bon voyage into this journey of other worlds.

Anonymous said...

Yeah books! My good friends.....

I've heard great things about Eat, Pray, Love as Emily says...

Top Summer recommendations for me...
_The Glass Castle by Jeannette ?
_Everything Belongs by Richard Rohr
_How to Be Good by Nick Hornby

Hope you are doing well!

Jes